Monday, April 6, 2009

"Listen please, I don't care about any of your problems, I have no answers for any of you" Dr Cox


I had interesting reaction to an ad on TV last night, I was watching it on a projector while eating pizza- something was said on the screen that I didn't like so I threw the pizza at him. This did confuse my mate as he only saw it as me throwing food at his wall rather than reacting to what was on the screen. Have you ever felt the need to scream out against an ad on the radio or throw food at the TV at something that you don't agree with- maybe you have seen a billboard on your way to work that really gets on your nerves?

Well there are people out there fighting against the marketing we are bombarded with everyday- maybe you have seen some of the ads that adbusters have changed over recent years-




As you can see they have taken a spoof on the Absolut Vodka ad, this form of culture jamming is legal and funny- you will often get them in your emails to brighten up your day. But there are other forms that are often illegal forms- vandalising the billboards that we see out and about everyday- this is probably found more in America than here in Australia, but it is still always fun to see what they can do to bring down the man! Here is one from the Billboard Liberation Front of Australia- although maybe it is a positive ad for Kevin Rudd...








But what about the real victims of this phenomenon of culture jamming- those poor marketiers that spend millions of dollars every year to make sure their product is right there in front of your face. Hours and hours of strategizing, researching, brainstorming and attending hard-care corporate retreats in the Maldives can be thwarted by a group of gorilla culture jammers to bring it all to it's knees and destroy the image of the company they work so hard to build up. How dare these people bring to light the truth behind the brands that we know and love, brands that we have grown up with yet have no idea about the corruption and decimation that exists in these companies!


At the end of the day (and yes that is now four cliches) who really cares any more I mean really we will all passively sit there and be told how to think and what to say in the future- I say embrace the non-thought method of interacting with the media, at the very least my friend's wall would then be safe from flying pizza! Hopefully the culture jammers will take out the marketiers and the world will be safe again but until that time arrive I'm going to let Dr Cox finish my thoughts on this one in his rant -things I could care less about...





No comments: