Monday, April 27, 2009

"I'm gonna tell you the same thing I told my new gardener; no way, Jose. His name is actually Jose, that's why I hired him" Dr Bob Kelso

Last year I turned 25, while this may not seem like such a big milestone it was cause for a mini quarter life crisis. I was informed that I was officially 1/3 of the way through my life. While according to my licence and the world I have been an adult for seven years in my head I am still 15, I watch people around me buying houses and getting married and having kids and I think I’m still too young for that. What is really freaking me out now is that people younger than me are now getting married and having kids and entering “the real world” and leaving the fun of youth behind.

But what is it about the Youth culture that attracts adults to still their ideas- in years gone by the youth culture was looked down on and dismissed as being young and idealistic. Rebellious teens of the 1950s, mods of the 1960s and the free-loving hippies of the 1970s are now the leaders of the world- they are our parents and grandparents. But just because they grew up and had to take over leadership of the world does that mean they should give up the dreams they had as young people? Why should the Youth (and what really defines a youth- age or mentality?) have all the fun and be able to have the coolness that just automatically comes with being cool? We no longer have the true separation that existed 30 years ago between different identities (hippies vs punks) now it is totally cool to be whatever you feel like being and whoever you feel like being. Lets face it, it is because of the oldies that we now have those freedoms in our lives so why shouldn’t they enjoy it as well- the youth really can’t appreciate it because that is all they have ever known.

So what does all of this mean? Well the most interesting people I know are still young at heart and even though they may be grandparents they still act like teenagers and still have no idea what they want to do with their lives- that is how I want to be in my life because lets face it youth is wasted on the young!!!! I may be getting older but I’m proud to still think like a 15 year old and probably will for a long time to come!

To conclude here is this weeks scrubs clip- It shows people can still have fun as adults- my dream is to be forever like JD and Turk, well maybe Elliot and Dr Cox and Bob Kelso...oh lets face it I will be happy being like any of them when I grow up!
(the video does go for a while but I promise you will be laughing so hard you will not even notice!)

No comments: