Monday, May 18, 2009

"You're Black Puh-leaze" Dr Cox to Turk

National identity- what the hell is National Identity- is it the country you were born in? The country you choose to spend you life in or the country that you escape to? While some argue that it is the country that you are born in I disagree. While I am born an Australian, my mother is English and while she has chosen to adopt the Australian National Identity, I have in fact chosen the British Nationality- I have dual citizenship and plan on living the majority of my life in the Queens Country.

But what about those who have become displaced through no choice of their own? The refugees who leave everything behind, should they give up their nationality and cultural ideas just because of something they had no choice in? This is no longer such a problem, with the internet now offering ways for people all over the world to continually connect with their cultural counterparts. With Hindu sites and Islamic sites offering connections for these people to feel comfortable no matter where they are in the world (well so long as they have a computer near by that is!).



But is this starting to blur national identities- if a person can be a Kazakhstanian (think Borat if you are confused) in America does this then blur the lines between an American National Identity and a Kazakhstan National Identity, does it then in fact develop into a whole new national identity- perhaps Kazakhamerica or Amrekhatanian? Confused? I know I am, I think it all boils down to this- National Identity is no longer bound by border (you can thank airline travel for that- Thanks Mr Branson!), it is now the cultural group with which you identify with and the internet now offers this ability to one and all (well one and all who have internet connections). I still like to think of myself as a British citizen just born in the wrong country!!! Just like in today’s clip we see Turk identify with being an African American yet as Dr Cox clearly points out he is in fact not!


No comments: