Monday, May 4, 2009

“Turk, you just schooled on black rap by the two white girls in America!” Carla

I am a happy Caucasian female and while I live in a very multicultural society even I can experience some form of racism- more because I have been into places where I am actually the minority and have feared for my life. But I still feel sickened when I discover that extreme groups exist in our world that promotes racism and white superiority. In fact looking at the website the Intelligence Project http://www.splcenter.org/intel/map/hate.jsp that shows how many hate groups exist in each state in America. The most are found in Texas (66) and that turns my stomach.

It is also through the internet that we are starting to see the spread of this kind of diseased form of thinking- even in Australia we have the Australian First Party http://ausfirst.alphalink.com.au/ which seems safe at first but when you start actually looking at the beliefs of these groups that you realise how deranged these people really are. I know the internet is a form of free speech and I’m fairly sure these groups would have a problem with what I think but seriously people it is now the 21st Century can’t we leave the whole categorising people based on their race behind in the 20th century? I mean in this day and age we are all so mixed up it is even harder to define what we really are and who we identify with in our community.

What is even more interesting in our world today away from the extremist groups is taking the political corrected ness way too far that we now always have to have the token black guy in advertising everything from schools to hospitals. We have taken such a swing from discrimating against other “races” to wanting them in our world so much to show we are non- discriminatory that we end up marginalising those we want to feel a part of the group. Confused? Just watch this weeks scrubs moment and it will all become a lot clearer…

No comments: